Saturday, March 23, 2013

my Ex from Hell by Tellulah Darling



My Ex from Hell by Tellulah  Darling

Book Name: My Ex from Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy #1)

Author Name: Tellulah Darling

Genre/Tags: Paranormal, Romance, Greek Mythology  

Publisher: Te Da Media

My Rating: 4 star

Sixteen-year-old Sophie Bloom wishes she’d been taught the following:

a) Bad boy’s presence (TrOuBlE) + teen girl’s brain (DraMa) = TrAuMa (Highly unstable and very volatile.)
b) The Genus Greekulum Godissimus is notable for three traits: 1) awesome abilities, 2) grudges, and 3) hook-ups, break-ups, and in-fighting that puts cable to shame.

Prior to the Halloween dance, Sophie figures her worst problems involve adolescent theatrics, bitchy yoga girls, and being on probation at her boarding school for mouthy behaviour. Then she meets bad boy Kai and gets the kiss that rocks her world.

Literally.

This breath stealing lip lock reawakens Sophie’s true identity: Persephone, Goddess of Spring. She’s key to saving humanity in the war between the Underworld and Olympus, target numero uno of Hades and Zeus, and totally screwed.

Plus there’s also the little issue that Sophie’s last memory as Persephone was just before someone tried to murder her.

Big picture: master her powers, get her memories back, defeat Persephone’s would be assassin, and save the world. Also, sneak into the Underworld to retrieve stolen property, battle the minions of Hades and Zeus, outwit psycho nymphs, slay a dragon, rescue a classmate, keep from getting her butt expelled from the one place designed to keep her safe …

… and stop kissing Kai, Prince of the Underworld.

My Ex From Hell is a romantic comedy/Greek mythology smackdown. Romeo and Juliet had it easy.



                                               My Review

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher.

I really liked this book. It was witty, funny and full of sarcastic humor. This is a story of modern day high school life with a back drop of Greek mythology.

The plot revolves around a high school junior Sophie Bloom, who studies with her two BFF’s Theo and Hannah in a day boarding school. The twist comes when she goes off two meet a handsome hunk of her arch nemesis at midnight on Halloween and while kissing him she gets the memory flashes of Greek mythological creatures including Zeus and Hades themselves. And here comes everything crashes down! She learns from Theo that, the hot yummy treat Sophie ran off to kiss, also known as Kai, the Prince of the Underworld.
She infact is Persephone, the daughter of Zeus and her soul has taken refuge in a human body after being brutally murdered in her previous life as a goddess. From now on starts her quest to unravel her past, get back her memories and save humanity from the ongoing war between Zeus and Hades.

What I really liked about Sophie was her sarcastic sense of humor. That girl cannot talk in a straight way. Everything she has to say, no matter how serious, has to be in some snarky, witty, funny and sarcastic way. No matter the seriousness of the matter, she could always joke about it.

“Then I met a guy. I know that’s the worst cliché ever. But sadly, it’s true. And of course, me being me, he couldn’t be just any bad boy. No. He had to be Kai, son of Hades, Lord of the Underworld.”

“Who knew when I was cramming Greek mythology for my English final, I was studying the family tree?”

I loved the characters of Theo and Hannah too. The easy banter between the three friends had me crackling like a lunatic. Some of my favorite parts:

"How big was my rack?" I asked hopefully.

"Such tact," Theo admonished. "I never noticed."

"How would big boobs help you save humankind? Unless you're planning to poke out Hades' eye with your diamond hard nips." Hannah rolled her eyes at me.

“Stranger things have happened, Neo. And it was Halloween.” “It was, Morpheus. But since I wasn’t abducted, thrown into a shipping container, and sent on my way to the Baltics to be sold into sex slavery, highly unlikely.”

“Rule number two, I agree with Theo. No blowing your cover. You are strictly Clark Kent around here.” “Couldn’t I at least be Tony Stark?”

I am completely enamored with My Ex from Hell. There’s mystery, intrigue, comedy and drama all rolled into one. It's one of those books you're only expecting to read for about a half hour or so (because you're busy and have other work you should probably be attending to) and end up reading the whole thing in one sitting, forgetting all the things you had to do that day (Spoken from true experience!).

RANDOM THOUGHTS
I am not so happy with the cover of the book. Before I read the blurb of the book and just saw the cover, I thought this is going to be contemporary high school cliché with your girl-next-door suffering through life only to have her ex coming back and making it more miserable. Although most of it was true in this book to, but this wasn’t your contemporary-nothing-paranormal-cliché. So I just kind of wished the cover would have depicted something along the mood of the book, what with all the Greek mythology stuff going on. Well you know, I am the original anti-don’t-judge-a-book-by-its-cover girl. What can I say, I love creative book covers.

Buy this book at:

No comments:

Post a Comment